POSITION TITLE: Field Operator DEPARTMENT: Utility
POSITION CODE: 22-700 FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION REPORTS TO: Utility Maintenance Supervisor, Utility
Maintenance Foreman, Heavy Equipment Operator
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
BLS COMPARABLE: 51-8031, Water and Liquid Waste Treatment Plant
and System Operators
Leadership: Provides co-worker leadership to others through
motivation, team building, and providing feedback.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Subject to post offer, pre-employment drug screen.
- Subject to post offer, pre-employment physical
examination/medical history check.
- Subject to a pre-employment criminal background check.
- In accordance with 49 CFR 391.53, information regarding
previous employers may be used for the purpose of investigating the
applicant's safety performance history within the previous three
years. This includes general employment, accident, and drug/alcohol
- In accordance with 49 CFR 393.23, a Motor Vehicle Report
covering the previous three years will be obtained for the purpose
of investigating the applicant's driving history.
- As a CDL driver, the employee will be required to comply with
all provisions of DOT Regulation 49 CFR Parts 40 and 382, including
random drug and alcohol testing.
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma Driver's License with an
acceptable driving record.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have a telephone.
- Due to "on-call" status must be able to report to work within
POSITION PURPOSE: To provide quality life for Enid residents by
assisting in preservation and maintenance for water and
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Pull hose, operate jet nozzle, root cutter and other vactor
attachments for efficient cleaning of sewer line under the
supervision of the Heavy Equipment Operator.
- Assist with operation closed circuit camera equipment under the
supervision of the Camera Technician.
- Assist other water reclamation staff in the installation and
repair of utility systems.
- Set barricades and traffic cones to safely re-route traffic
away from work areas.
- Measure distances using a tape measure to determine pipe and
manhole sizes and location of sewer taps and blockages.
- Operate power equipment such as generators, air compressors,
jackhammers, power saws, power tamps, pumps, and paint sprayers to
maintain and inspect the collection system.
- Use common hand tools such as hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches,
grinders, grease guns, and welders (if certified) to perform daily
preventive maintenance of equipment.
- Operate dump truck, valve truck and assist in transport of
- Clean work area, all hand and power tools, and equipment.
- Mow and weed eat lift stations.
- Collect overflow samples and file overflow reports with
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality.
- Manually excavate and repair city utilities, including repair
of pressurized water lines.
- Use concrete saws and forming to pour and finish concrete.
- Respond to customer call-ins and complaints.
- Provide assistance to other departments as needed.
- Perform other duties as required
- The Water Reclamation Services division runs smoothly and
- Blockages, breakage, and flow interruptions are minimized by an
aggressive pro-active preventive maintenance program for water and
- Equipment is well maintained, clean, repaired, and operated in
a safe, efficient, and timely manner.
- New employees are well trained and assisted. Management is
- Employee understands and adheres to applicable safety
- The City's professional reputation is maintained.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: High school diploma or general education
degree (GED); or six months related experience and/or training; or
equivalent combination of education and experience. Some previous
work-related skill, knowledge, or experience may be helpful, but
CERTIFICATES/LICENSES: Class D Wastewater license (within 6
Class D Water license (within 6 months).
Class B Driver's License (within 1 year).
Confined Space Certification (within 3 months).
Protective Respirator Qualification (within 3 months).
Trenching & Shoring Training (within 6 months).
Maintain 4 hours of continuing education annually.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and
tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Ability to exercise independent judgment.
Accurate and attentive to detail.
Basic communications and public relations abilities.
Ability to assist and support others.
Able to operate telephone, PC, copier, and other basic business
Ability to repair and handle water piping.
PHYSICAL & MENTAL CONCERNS AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
FINGER DEXTERITY: Manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle
items, works with the fingers, and perceives attributes of objects
VISUAL ABILITIES: Normal vision, with or without corrective
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: PDC Level: Very Heavy Employee lifts/carries
75 lbs frequently
(34% - 66% of the time or 100-500 times per day). Very heavy
physical activity required performing strenuous daily activities.
Prolonged standing, over the head reaching and lifting, climbing,
carrying weight for long distances, squatting, kneeling and
crawling. Periodic shoveling requiring lifting from ground to waist
LANGUAGE/COMPREHENSION: Ability to read and interpret documents
such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and
correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of
customers or employees of organization.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram
form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete
variables in standardized situations.
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to perform very basic math skills
including adding and subtracting two digit numbers, multiplying and
dividing with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations
using units of money and weight or distance measurement.
WORK SCHEDULE/HOURS: Regular- 8 hour shift, typically 7:00 a.m.
to 4:00 p.m., Monday - Friday.
24-hour call, nights and weekends, as required. Overtime as
Other - Variable lunch period and breaks in coordination with
other office personnel.
WORK CONDITIONS: Outdoor exposure to changing weather conditions
(for instance, rain sun,
snow, wind, etc.) Work in high traffic areas.
Noise level: Very loud. Hearing protection required.
Other work conditions: Frequent exposure to air contamination,
airborne particles, fumes, and toxic or caustic chemicals.
Exposure to raw sewage and waste.
Exposure to confined spaces.
Frequent exposure to vibration.
Occasional work near moving mechanical parts.
Risk of electrical shock.
4-6 Years Experience. 7+ years experience.
Advanced knowledge of applicable safety standards. Expert
knowledge of applicable safety standards.
Class B CDL. Class A CDL.
Class C Water License. Class B Water License.
Class C Wastewater License. Class B Wastewater License.
Right of Way spraying license, Department of Agriculture.
Vocational or technical training.
Trenching & Shoring Rescue Training. Ability to fill in for
Heavy Equipment for short
Ability to fill in for Distribution Tradesman for short periods
of time. periods of time.
Valid CPR certification.
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the
hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only
essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral
tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been
excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been
determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully
perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties,
responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all
inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by
supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is
possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably
accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will
be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the
employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the
I have reviewed this job description and I can perform the
essential functions of this position, with or without, reasonable
accommodations. I have also received or have been offered a copy of
this job description.