POSITION TITLE: Seasonal Groundskeeper DEPARTMENT: Parks &
POSITION CODE: TEMP7B FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
POSITION REPORTS TO: Parks & Recreation Supervisor, Foreman
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
BLS COMPARABLE: 37-3011, Landscaping and Grounds Keeping
Leadership: Provides co-worker leadership to others through
motivation, team building,
and providing feedback.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Subject to post offer, pre-employment drug screen.
- Subject to post offer, pre-employment physical
examination/medical history check.
- Subject to a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- As a position directly affecting the safety of others, the
employee will be required to comply with all provisions of City of
Enid's substance abuse policy, including random drug and alcohol
- Possession of a valid Oklahoma driver's license with an
acceptable driving record.
POSITION PURPOSE: To enhance the quality of life of Enid
residents and guests through the maintenance and improvement of
recreational parks and a storm water drainage system.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Provide manual care for City parks, lawns, offices, and other
designated areas by mowing, aerating, weeding, grubbing, removing
thatch, and trimming and edging around flower beds, walks, and
- Operate various tools to include shovel, chainsaw, rake, weed
eater, and rinding mower.
- Haul and spread topsoil, and spread straw over seeded soil to
hold soil in place.
- Dig, plant seeds, bulbs, foliage, flowering plants, grass,
ground covers, trees, and shrubs, and apply mulch for protection,
using gardening tools.
- Stake, prune, or remove trees using accepted methods.
- Perform general repair of water leaks and electrical system
malfunctions in parks and maintain irrigation systems, including
winterizing the systems.
- Deliver waste receptacles and picnic tables to parks for
- Gather and remove litter.
- Clean and maintain restrooms, fountains, and playground
- Serve in a flexible capacity as public service requires in
winter to include assisting in snow and ice removal crews during
- Prepare and maintain athletic fields, outdoor courts, and
- Clean and maintain shelters within the park system.
- Maintain trails throughout the park systems.
- Provide assistance and support to other departments as
- Perform other duties as required.
- City parks, walking trails, basketball courts, and recreational
facilities and equipment are well maintained and provide quality of
life to citizens.
- Policies and procedures in City of Enid personnel manual and
safety manual are understood, followed, and modeled for other
- Effective relations exist with co-workers as well as with the
- The City's professional reputation is maintained.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: No prior experience or training.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Mechanical - Knowledge of machines and
tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Accurate and attentive to detail.
Ability to assist and support others.
Ability to operate riding mower, chain saws, and weed
Able to operate telephone, copier, and other basic business
PHYSICAL & MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS
FINGER DEXTERITY: Manual dexterity sufficient to work with the
VISUAL ABILITIES: Normal vision, with or without corrective
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: PDC Level: Medium Employee lifts/carries 50
lbs occasionally (less than 33% of the time or 1-100 times per
day). Moderate physical activity performing somewhat strenuous
daily activities of a primarily product/technical nature.
Occasional overhead reaching, squatting, kneeling, and
LANGUAGE/COMPREHENSION: Ability to communicate orally and
distinguish minimal written language such as addresses and street
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding
to carry out simple one or two-step instructions. Ability to deal
with standardized situations with only occasional or no
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to perform very basic math skills
including adding and subtracting two digit numbers, multiplying and
dividing with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations
using units of money and weight or distance measurement.
WORK SCHEDULE/HOURS: Regular -6:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Monday -
Seasonal Position- Employment will not exceed four months in any
Other - Variable lunch period and breaks in coordination with
other office personnel.
Limited hours during major holidays to keep trash and restrooms
clean in parks, 2-3 hour shifts.
May be required to work nights and weekends during snow and ice
events, 10-12 hours.
Early morning or night time hours could be required for work
that would need to be done in high traffic areas, very limited.
WORK CONDITIONS: Outdoors exposed to changing weather conditions
(rain, sun, wind, snow, etc.) and indoor shop environment with
Noise level: Loud. Hearing protection as required.
Other work conditions: Air contamination (when mowing).
Improperly illuminated or awkward and confining workspace.
Class B CDL.
Class A CDL.
3-5 years related experience.
6+ years related experience.
Ability to fill in for Park Technician for short term.
Ability to fill in for Park Technician for extended period of
Good application of safety as applies to job.
Advanced safety knowledge.
Local tree trimming license.
Advanced tree care knowledge.
Herbicide/pesticide applicator license.
Training in landscape design.
Knowledge of park and playground safety.
Valid CPR certification.
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the
hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only
essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral
tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been
excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been
determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully
perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties,
responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all
inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by
supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is
possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably
accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will
be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the
employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the
I have reviewed this job description and I can perform the
essential functions of this position, with or without, reasonable
accommodations. I have also received or have been offered a copy of
this job description.